Saturday, October 23, 2010

profound

Youth Art Team Week #2 started off in chaos and craziness on Thursday as I tried to gather several of the students from the neighborhood for class, but ended with multiple visits from the Holy Spirit throughout our two hours together.

Sixteen of the seventeen youth were there (#17 had a band concert), and the group got to break in their new sketchbooks with watercolor drawings. They were awesome! During their time of free drawing, one of the adult facilitators asked the kids to journal a few short words or sentences about "What makes you YOU?" It was so excellent getting to hear what the youth wrote about themselves. "I am a sweet girl." "I am funny." "I like to play by myself." "I am a Christian."

Next, several civic leaders from our community came and allowed themselves to be interviewed by pairs of students. I love how God used Heidi, our instructor, to group the kids and adults. I sat with two of our boys who were perfectly paired up together with one another and with their interviewee, a twenty something boxer who boxes at the boxing club in the Walnut Neighborhood. It was a divine match with words of encouragement being spoken by the interviewee in such a way that I believe really inspired our young men.

I know also that at least in one other match, there was a strong connection between an interviewee and the teen interviewer. Possibly even such a strong connection that this teen will recall it as one of those rare "defining moments" in life. That's so powerful!!

What a beautiful picture to look around the room and see the young people empowered to lead these interviews. They really rose to the occasion with only a short amount of preparation and familiarity with one another. I think what I've found most profound in the two short weeks of Youth Art Team is that when you couple high expectations with plenty of support and structure, the youth are really reaching up there for the stars.

After the interviews, the team had a time to debrief with one another what they remembered most about their interviews and to paint again in their sketchbooks. As they painted, I shared a few insights from the Scripture where Jesus feeds the five thousand. I really see the truth in this Scripture being played out right in this Youth Art Team....when we offer to Jesus that which we have, He really does make much of it for the Kingdom of God.

Can't wait to see photos from this night at www.YouthArtTeam.blogspot.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment