Saturday, May 8, 2010

classic Saturday

Frank Laubach (1884-1970) was a missionary to the Philippine Islands. He founded churches on the island of Mindanao, and he established and became dean of Union College in Manila. In 1930, he went back to Mindanao to live among the Mohammedan Moros, a group of people who considered Christians on the island their enemies. It's thought that through his efforts, 45,000 people learned to read and write, and he brought thousands into a richer experience of God through his own experiments in practicing the presence of God every moment of every day.

From Letters by a Modern Mystic:

"I feel simply carried along each hour, doing my part in a plan which is far beyond myself. This sense of cooperation with God in the little things is what astonishes me. I seem to have to make sure of only one thing now, and every other thing 'takes care of itself', or I prefer to say what is more true, God takes care of all the rest. My part is to live in this hour in continuous inner conversation with God and in perfect responsiveness to his will. To make this hour gloriously rich. This seems to be all I need to think about."

"You will object to this intense introspection. Do not try it, unless you feel unsatisfied with your own relationship with God, but at least allow me to realize all the leadership of God I can. I am disgusted with the pettiness and futility of my unled self. If the way out is not more perfect slavery to God, then what is the way out? I am trying to be utterly free from everybody, free from my own self, but completely enslaved to the will of God every moment of this day."

If you want to practice more of an ongoing inner conversation with God, a deep continuous connectedness with Him, you might want to pick up and read more of Laubach's journals of his journey and training to abide with God moment by moment throughout the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment