Wednesday, April 28, 2010

stepping into comfort....uh-oh

I stepped into my tennies this morning for a run with a friend and thought about how much I love my tennis shoes. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever had in my life. Before last April, I mostly purchased Payless and Wal-mart shoes, with an occasional purchase of tennies for sports that would reach the $50 mark. Last Spring, when I began to train for a marathon, I was told that shoes make a huge difference, and I was referred to the Runner's Flat for some quality running shoes. At about $100 a pop, I can now never go back. In fact, I put on some old tennies at home the other day to work around our yard, and I couldn't believe the difference. I love, love the comfort of my expensive tennies.

Starbucks coffee. It's some real fine coffee. I'd go broke if I drank it daily, but I sure do like it as an occasional treat. Problem is that it now makes regular coffee somewhat less palatable...

Last week, I had a friend tell me that she was lobbying for me to get my own office at church. I currently share an office with some folks and sit in a cube that has some traffic into our AV/computer equipment room. After she told me that she had sent an email to a few of our staff management, I promptly went to our operations leader and said, "Don't even think about it." The last thing I need is to get more comfortable in an office space. It's SO hard to go in reverse once you experience comfort. Our dishwasher died over a year ago, and it's taken me about a year now to "normalize" washing dishes by hand again. Comfort and convenience have such a way of lulling me away from faith, service, and sacrifice. And the more I gain comfort and convenience, the harder it is to go in reverse and to give them up.

I don't know about you, but God seems to grow me spiritually the most when I am uncomfortable, when I am giving up that which hinders me, and when I willingly enter into the pain and brokenness around me. Certainly, there is blessing and gratitude in comfort and luxuries, but there is danger lurking as well. Anyone else know what I mean?

"When the Lord brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give you- a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant- then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery." Deut. 6:10-12

"You lie on beds inlaid with ivory and lounge on your couches. You dine on choice lambs and fattened calves. You strum away on your harps like David and improvise on musical instruments. You drink wine by the bowlful and use the finest lotions, but you do not grieve over the ruin of Joseph." Amos 6:4-6

2 comments:

  1. Reading this reminded me of something I was once told "The less you have... the easier it is to start over..."
    And "Quality is better than Quanity." I find this to be so true with many things... shoes being at the top of my list...
    Did I tell you... I am having a REALLY BIG garage sale this summer... LOL!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Laura, I can so relate. It's week three of no dishwasher, and I'm still internally "fussing", and that makes me even more determined not to get a dishwasher! Comfort does lull, and it's greedy, too. The more cushy life is, the less edge. The less edge, the less trust. The less trust, the less dependence on God. I know why Dave preaches about the danger of the Lazy Boy recliner. Great post!

    ReplyDelete