Thursday, September 15, 2016

the risk to belong

It was so good to be at Orchard Hill Church on Sunday!  I've been gone due to traveling and Picnic in the Park this summer.  So great to see friendly faces and to be together in worship.

I love the teaching series we're in...about a risk-taking faith.  Dave spoke Sunday about the power of Christian community and our need to belong.  His key points:

Community is a place where you can....

Know and be known
Love and be loved
Serve and be served
Celebrate and be celebrated

He also spoke about how....

1.  Belonging has many levels.
2.  Belonging must fit your life and your personality.
3.  Belonging often requires you to initiate.

I've experienced God using Christian community in such amazing, exponential ways!  Discipleship in community.  Mission in the community/world with all of our gifts used collectively.  Accountability in community.  Empowerment in community.  Encouragement in community.  Learning in community. Worship in community.  Deep friendship in community.  I love how God has designed us to grow and go together as a family in Christ!

My missional journey has involved community, too.  I know that Jesus's community includes people of all different colors, cultures, backgrounds, income levels.  Because my cultural norms are so set in me, it requires me to initiate belonging in community outside of the homogeneous community I naturally tend to form.  This doesn't always fit my life and personality, but it does fit risk-taking faith, and God has moved supernaturally here in the ways of knowing, loving, serving, and celebrating.

That Jesus will continue to grow us and heal us as he develops unity through diverse Christian community, and that He will send us out together in our community and world with Him in his restoring mission of making all things new and right!

Here's Dave's talk if you'd like to watch:

http://www.orchardhillchurch.org/media-center/2016/the-risk-to-belong











No comments:

Post a Comment