Monday, July 4, 2016

some recommended messages

I spent over 16 hours over this 4th of July weekend painting and cleaning an apartment that we rent out.  Our last tenants just bought a house and moved out last week.  To help keep me company, I listened to the following messages while I worked.  All good, so I thought I'd share them as recommendations:

Churches should certainly spend some time teaching about personal faith and life.  I call these messages "Jesus and me" sermons.  A great "Jesus and me" series is Kyle Idleman's 3 part Cumulative Effect series.  I actually listened to all 3 messages 3 times while I worked.  So good.

Cumulative Effect Part 1

Cumulative Effect Part 2

Cumulative Effect Part 3

You might see more from me regarding the 52 day challenge mentioned in the parts 2 and 3.

Churches should also spend time teaching about corporate faith and life.  I call these messages "Jesus and we" sermons.  A "Jesus and me" Gospel alone is inadequate and makes our God and our theology so small.  We don't understand mission without a "Jesus and we" emphasis.  I listened to 2 great "Jesus and we"sermons yesterday in John Ortberg's latest series at Menlo Park:

Overcoming your Shadow Mission/The King

Overcoming your Shadow Mission/Esther 


And finally, before hitting Pandora to listen to music for awhile, I listened to one more sermon out of Community Christian Church.  I was curious how they would approach the subject of voting for president in their sermon:  "Choose your President"...the last part of their Decision 2016 series. Check it out to find out for yourself!

Choose your President 



No comments:

Post a Comment