Thursday, January 29, 2015

from servants to friends

In Scripture, Jesus says, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything I have learned from my Father I have made known to you." (John 15: 14-15)  

This Scripture speaks to a worldview shift from a service model to a friendship/community model. 


Jesus says that a servant does not know his master's business. When I live in a service mindset, I often times miss the business of God..  I only get close enough to people and the needs of our community to serve them from a safe distance and in doing this, I do not come to know the master's business of transformation (in me and in others...He wants to make new creation through new community!)

 What Jesus made known to us through his words and deeds was nothing short of a social revolution. His incarnation speaks to this.  The disciples he chose speaks to this. His confrontations with the religious elite speak to this. His presence and relationships among the margins speak to this. Jesus befriended people.  Jesus is calling us to a new kind of friendship...a new kind of community developing... a new kind of social order discovered in friendship through His reconciling power.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment