Saturday, June 1, 2013

Saturday Scripture



It's June 1!  School is officially out, summer is officially declared, and the sky is dry after a week of rains and flooding in the Heartland.  I couldn't wait to rise early this morning...to feel the cool air of early June mornings, to listen to the birds, and to watch the sun come up out here in the country.  These are my favorite times of the day and the year! Add to that the Word of God on my lap and there's no better peace experienced than this.  Here's today's Scripture that reminds us of God's heartbeat of compassion and justice....

Ezekiel 22:29  "The people of the land practice extortion and commit robbery; they oppress the poor and needy and mistreat the alien, denying them justice."

Galatians 2:10  "All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do."  


(In December 2006, I visited Kit Danley of Neighborhood Ministries in Phoenix, AZ.  As we visited, she recommended that I read through the Bible and highlight all of the Scripture passages that spoke of God's heart of compassion and justice.  In 2007, I did just that.

In 2008, I attended a workshop at a CCDA conference in which the facilitator instructed the class to work in pairs to name as many Scriptures (by reference or by text) that had to do with God's heart of compassion and justice.

The two exercises above have impacted me, and over the past five years, my eyes have been opened in a whole new way as I spend time in God's Word.  

I am going to spend Saturdays this year sharing Scripture passages on the blog, one OT and one NT, that help lay the Biblical foundation for compassion and justice; Scripture that describes God's character and His imperatives for His people.)

No comments:

Post a Comment