Wednesday, May 1, 2013

EVERY act of kindness done in the name of Jesus

"My sister and I just spent 3 hours making caramel corn for the May Day baskets we're giving out on Saturday at Love Cedar Valley."  This message came from a friend across my facebook at 11 p.m. last night.  It was like a flashing billboard straight from God to me.

Love Cedar Valley is a city-wide, multiple church, day long, annual event that is in its 8th year.  It's a day when churches come together to pray, serve, and worship jointly and to share Christ's love in real practical ways throughout the community.  I lead this effort, and there are many unknowns and "free radicals" in this event.  Weather.  How much attention and leadership each church gives to their organizing efforts. How well vision and communication gets disseminated into the multiple layers. Core leaders from a lot of different churches with a variety of styles, levels of commitment, and personalities.  I spend a lot of mental energy toward the end of the planning period trying to do what I can to control what I can, and then, I generally spend a lot of mental energy worrying about that which I cannot control and that which I wish I had done differently along the way of planning.  Last night's late night facebook message was a clear message from God to me:  "Stop.  Look right in front of you at what IS.  Give thanks for EVERY act of service; EVERY act of kindness being extended by my people in my name this Saturday.  Do it now.  And let go of every single thing that might have been or won't be this year.  Trust that I'm in what IS and can move in what IS in ways far beyond yourself."  

And so, this morning, I lay down my misguided desires for control and human excellence, and I pick up gratitude, joy, and faith.

*Thank you, Jesus, for the friend who engaged his sister in an evening of caramel corn making for May Day Baskets.  May your presence and love be experienced by the receivers of these gifts.  Thank you for speaking to my heart through their act of kindness.
*Thank you, Jesus, for the production crew who will spend a good portion of two days setting up and preparing an environment of worship so that your Body of Believers can lift our hearts and voices to you in honor and praise.
*Thank you, Jesus, for each person who will don their coats, hats, and gloves for a forecasted cold and potentially rainy May 4th Love Cedar Valley this year, and they will spend the day sharing your love in a variety of ways outdoors...picking up trash, handing out meals and treats, preparing gardens.
*Thank you, Jesus, for each elderly person in our area nursing homes and for each volunteer who will visit them, giving them flowers, drawings, balloons, and playing an instrument or singing a song to our elderly neighbors in care facilities.
*Thank you, Jesus, for Antioch Baptist Church and the energy they have put into their first Love Cedar Valley.
*Thank you, Jesus, for each photographer that will take pictures this weekend to create a photographic memory of the day.

I have and will continue to name each person and each act of giving as a gift received in gratitude, God, and I will set my heart and faith on the good, powerful, and mysterious ways you are able to move to accomplish your purposes in this community.  And thanks for messaging me on fb.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Your article is good. I like style of your writing. So I got pleasure reading it. Thanks a lot!

    writemy-essay.net

    ReplyDelete