Tuesday, July 10, 2012

in the ordinary

 My thirteen year old daughter is an up and coming photographer who borrows my camera often and walks about snapping a bazillion pictures (thank God for digital).  Aren't these photos that she took outstanding?
 Here's the thing.  These pictures were all taken out at our acreage one lazy day this summer when Sara was looking for something to do.  She took scads of pictures of things I walk past almost every day with a ho-hum.
 After viewing these photos, I commented, "Sara, I never realized our place looked so amazing and beautiful until I saw it through your photographs!"
 I tend to take pictures most often when there are events and special activities...track meets, birthdays, holidays, ministry events, etc...the "big" things that tend to take up a small minority of our days.
 My daughter takes pictures of the ordinary, everyday items and moments that make up the majority of our days.  Yet these are so memorable because they are the very things that, well, make up our days!
 These photographs are some powerful reminders to me.
 1.  Look at the world through the eyes of a child!
 2.  Look for beauty in the everyday, ordinary of life!
3.  God is everywhere, all the time.  He may reveal Himself in the big events or activities: a Sunday morning service, a funeral, a camp, a conference...but He continues to speak, teach, create, restore, and reveal Himself all the time in our everyday, ordinary lives.
Am I attentively looking and listening?
Am I willing to join with Him as He makes all things new in Jesus?  As He makes me new in Jesus?
Have I thanked God today for His creative beauty and Genius?
Have you?

2 comments:

  1. Aw, you used some of my photos! Thank ya mommy! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete