Wednesday, August 31, 2011

dear white person

post written by a friend in our Divided by Faith book group:

Dear White Person,
Thank you for the letter that you wrote to us, I can’t even pretend that I understand all of the things that you are feeling after our discussion. I do know that as a black person who has never had to face being accused of doing something that I am innocent of. I like you must rely on the things that I have read about and heard about.
Much of what you are saying would not fit any shoe that I have ever worn that also goes for many people of my race.
I can’t and won’t condemn anyone for what they believe.
After reading the scenario that you presented I tried to put myself in that scene and it made me angry also. We must find a way to put our anger aside so that we can move forward.
I will commit to you as a black person I will speak up when I hear someone from my race that has something negative to say about a White person no matter what the consequences are. That is what I have asked you to do in our discussions and I would not ask you to do anything that I would not do. I believe in the saying “What you permit you promote”.
I think that if we have the ability to get past the anger and we are willing to take the risks by committing to doing everything that is possible to reconcile with each other.
I know that as a person who believes in forgiving and the beliefs that I have been taught about God and Jesus, we have the ability to make a difference in the views of Black and White people everywhere.
This journey is one that none of us should take alone, so if there are any question that you may have that will help you understand more about me please ask. I will do the same. I truly believe that as we move forward the understanding of each other will be the key to developing our friendships and respect for all.
A Black Person

1 comment:

  1. I am honored and humbled to be a part of honest conversation with you. I, too, look forward to moving together further on this journey of understanding and reconciliation.

    ReplyDelete