Wednesday, March 23, 2011

big differences, bigger God

Monday evening, I spent 2 hours with about 50 people representing 20 churches in the Cedar Valley. It was a mixture of churches and people of faith that you don't commonly see interacting together or relating around our community. This was our 3rd and final gathering to plan Love Cedar Valley and this last meeting is always focused more on sharing a meal, praying, and worshiping together than it is about event planning. I love this 3rd gathering each year, and I'm still reflecting about the dynamics of the evening and the work that God does in such a setting.

As we were led into a time of prayer and worship on Monday, I was aware of the vast differences of worship tradition in the room. Some who prefer praying silently than aloud around a table. Some who speak in tongues. Some who stand and spread out their arms while singing. Some who are accustomed to an organ and hymns. Some who meet with and worship God in a liturgy. Others who are fluid and like to "follow the Spirit's leading and timetable".

Big differences, Bigger God. I'm really convinced that if the Church is going to attempt to walk toward unity and reconciliation, we will have to stretch ourselves into places that are bound to feel somewhat uncomfortable. Places that will cause us to wrestle with questions and all sorts of emotions. Places where we will catch ourselves judging. We will catch ourselves justifying our desire to distance ourselves. We will catch ourselves wanting to quickly go back into a setting that feels like a better fit; a safer, more familiar, and comfortable place. And from that deceiving "safe" place, we will look out at the lack of progress being made in our community and the barriers that remain firmly in place.

I'm reading the book of Luke with about 600 other people right now. Each day, we are reading a new portion of a chapter for 89 days. I've never read Luke in such a way, and it is one of the most powerful encounters with Scripture that I've had...to read it in community, and to reflect deeply on one passage each day. I am so struck by how Jesus challenges "the established order" ALL the time. Over and over again. He knows our human tendency to shrink back into familiar, into comfortable, into self. And he knows the intention and discipline that will be needed for there to be growth and reconciliation. He understands that we will go into unfamiliar territory and immediately want to judge, justify, retreat. Instead, I believe he calls us to tarry there a bit and discover that God is bigger, Jesus is Lord and Savior, and people are more valuable than all of the differences we so often allow to get in the way.


4 comments:

  1. I always enjoy the times we get together at Harvest to prepare for LCV. I love the mix of people, the stories, the feeling of caring and sharing.
    I have become more comfortable sharing at prayer time and even found this time that I could sing some of the songs and definitely move with the spirit of the music. Wow, that's coming from a Presbyterian!
    I'm praying that Love Cedar Valley can spread through more churches, that the givers and the recipients can see God in action that day and that the 'one day' can become 'every day' !
    Lois Nanke

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful powerful time of worship. I believe strongly that to grow we must move out of our comfort zone; push the envelope. As we approach Love Cedar Valley, I hope people will push themselves to serve in ways that may not be entirely comfortable. When we do this, we rely on God to carry us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first experience with the Love Cedar Valley meeting at Harvest. I was so moved to see so many people from so many different places in their lives and in their walk with the LORD. I loved the diversity and I must admit that as another Presbyterian I wanted to get up, raise my hands and sway to the wonderful worship music but I didn't. I did sing along when I knew the songs. During the worship time I felt I was basking in the glow of the Spirit of God in our presence. It was wonderful and I went home wishing I could experience the Spirit without my inhabitions! I am working on it and I pray that the love of Love Cedar Valley will spread among the faith community and spill out among those who have never experienced such love and acceptance. Thank you to all who have made this project happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're praying for the Spirit of God to continue movning in His grace and power Saturday at LCV. Looking forward to all God has in store! Thanks for being at Harvest last Monday. I've already been very blessed by the relationships built in the planning of LCV. Peace!

    ReplyDelete