Friday, September 4, 2009

love is a noun

Many times we hear the phrase "love is a verb" meaning that we have to demonstrate love in action with people around us. I believe that. It can't just be "creed" but must be "deed". But there are times when I recognize in my life that I'm having a hard time loving. I can show some loving actions, but inside my heart, I am empty, ugly, judgmental, or even worse, I am hostile in my heart. This is when love must become a noun. Lately, in a couple of places where I'm struggling to find love, I've opted in prayer to replace the name of God with "Love", since God is love. This type of prayer is helpful to me, as I know that I cannot find this love from within myself but must depend on the One who is love to come and fill my heart.

Love, come near me.
Love, be with me always.
Love, fill my heart and life.
Love, heal me.
Love, guide me.

This is God (love) described in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. Again, only God can be my Source and fill my heart and life with love. It really doesn't help me to pray "help me to be more patient," as I then try harder on my own to be more patient. I must pray for Patience himself to come and live within me.

Come, Patience.
Come, Kindness.
Come, Humility.
Come, Contentment.
Come, Politeness.
Come, Clearer of record of wrongs.
Come, Other-centered.
Come, Truth.
Come, Protector.
Come, Hope.
Come, Enduring One.
Come, Victor who never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment