Thursday, July 1, 2010

Nehemiah 2

A few days back, I posted a bit about Nehemiah 1 and how the whole story of Nehemiah begins with confession and repentance.

I journaled notes about each of the successive chapters and thought I'd include some observations and questions to consider as we seek to live on mission in Christ and for Christ. In chapter 2....

- Nehemiah is deeply troubled and burdened by the condition of Jerusalem. I took wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before; so the king asked me, "Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart. What has God burdened your heart about? Sometimes we call it a holy discontent..what is your holy discontent?

-Nehemiah does not just stay still and shake his head about the troubles...he's willing to be a part of the solution and to act. First he prayed. Then he allowed himself to be sent. Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, "If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my fathers are buried so that I can rebuild it. Have you prayed about that which burdens you...asking how God might want you to be a part of the solution? What is God calling you to be a part of "rebuilding"? Are you open and willing to be sent?

- Nehemiah has the support and trust of the king. Later in the chapter, he calls into action the people of Jerusalem, and many of the people respond in support. So I went to the governors of Trans-Euphrates and gave them the king's letters. The king had also sent army officers and cavalry with me. and later....Then I said to the people, "You see the trouble we are in: Jerusalem lies in ruins, and its gates have been bured with fire. Come, let us rebuild the wall of wall of Jerusalem, and we will no longer be in disgrace. I also told them about the gracious hand of my God upon me and what the king had said to me. They replied, "Let us start rebuilding," So they began this good work. Nehemiah must have lived in such a way that he had integrity and had gained credibility with people. Are you daily living in the way of integrity so that you build trust with people?

- Nehemiah faced opposition from the beginning. When Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official heard about this, they were very much disturbed that someone had come to promote he welfare of the city. We will battle opposition from the beginning of God's call upon our lives. Many times the enemy is our own flesh resisting God's call to be sent. The Evil One also throws many obstacles in our way to keep us from advancing in God's plan for us. Are you staying close in your relationship with God in order to recognize the enemy , stand firm because of your confidence in God, and move past the opposition? The God of Heaven will make sure we succeed. We're his servants and we're going to work, rebuilding. You can keep your nose out of it. You get no say in this- Jerusalem's none of your business!




No comments:

Post a Comment