Saturday, July 3, 2010

compassion and justice

Here are a few quotes from friends about what they're thinking as they consider the relationship between compassion and justice:

"If we talk about compassion without justice, would it not be somewhat like telling others that Jesus comes to walk beside us as a friend and put some salve on our wounds but neglecting to tell them that he also came to save us and make us right with God?"

"It seems to me if I focus only on compassion, without justice as the destination, I can easily end up with charity. If justice is my only focus-- where is the tender, merciful, compassionate heart of God?"

"I absolutely agree that compassion must lead to justice. Otherwise, "suffering with" people and systems, etc. leads to charity, but also, in a way, kind of just adds more suffering to the world. It might spread it out over two people rather than just one – which is definitely better- but compassion / "suffering with" for justice / change toward less overall suffering is beauty.

I also think about how the verse says "love and faithfulness go before you." If faithfulness means "adhering firmly and devotedly, as to a person, cause, or idea; loyal" and "worthy of trust or belief; reliable" and "consistent with truth or actuality," then it seems to me that Christian faithfulness requires compassion for justice. Am I truly faithful to Jesus if I do not have compassion?"

No comments:

Post a Comment