Saturday, July 3, 2010

classic Saturday

Perhaps the best way to share this week's devotional classic of Gregory of Nyssa (331-396) is to summarize an excerpt of his from The Life of Moses. Gregory believed the main use of the Bible was for growth in virtue. He saw the spiritual life as the race Paul describes in Philippians:

Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

In this selection by Gregory, he wrote about how perfection is not attainable on this side of heaven, but how we should strive to progress toward perfection....not to avoid a wicked life because we fear punishment and not to do good because we hope for rewards, but because we are God's friend.

Some of the suggested exercises from editors Foster and Smith this week are:

1. This week, cheer someone on in his or her spiritual journey. Send a letter, give that person a phone call, or drop by for a visit, simply to encourage him or her to keep running the race.

2. Chart out one or two areas of your life in which you would like to see some growth. Share your desires and intentions with a friend who can help you grow through the grace of accountability.

3. This week strengthen your friendship with God by spending time with God, sharing more and more of your life- your hopes and dreams and failures- allowing God to love you as a cherished friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment