Thursday, July 1, 2010

God's birthday everyday

I met a little 8 year old last night who captured my heart with her personality and her spiritual sensitivity. We were playing together in the park when she noticed some books that were in the tub of activities. She asked if she could read to me because she needed to practice her reading for next year. I told her, "sure", and she dug out a book with the title God Loves You. After reading the title, here is how the conversation went:

D: I know everything about God.
me: You do? What do you know about God?
D: I know that it's His birthday everyday, and I know that he punishes you for the stuff that you do that is bad.
me: Where do you learn things about God?
D: Right over there in that brown and pink building (Salvation Army across the street from the park)
me: How about if we read through the book and find out what you might learn about God?

D. went on to read, and we had snippets of conversation. Then she disappeared. She had gone home and then came up to me to tell me that her TiTi (aunt) wanted to meet me. On the way to her house, D. asked me when we could go to church, and if she could learn more about God. She wanted me to tell her aunt about church, and so I spent a little time with her Aunt S. introducing myself and telling her about Harvest, one of the churches in the neighborhood. This experience reminded me to be paying attention and engage those around me who seem to be open and seeking spiritually. Who are you noticing around you these days that seem spiritually sensitive?

No comments:

Post a Comment