Saturday, October 31, 2009

the dollar bill

This dollar bill thing in my face is causing me to ask some questions this morning. As I looked at the dollar bill taped to my bathroom mirror and on my dashboard this morning, I have been asking the following questions of myself...

- Will seeing this bill and remembering its significance cause me to consider better financial stewardship today? Will it change any of my choices today as I move out into the day?

- What can I tell about my appetites by the way I spend money? Does my life reflect an appetite for love and justice? Do I hunger for the rights and dignity of people?

- Will I begin to become blind to this dollar in front of me over the next three weeks?

Here's my prayer as I got in my van this morning to head out into a day of errands and engagements:

God,

Guide me in your Truth. Help me to know the truth, trust you, and have the courage to live a new nature. One that looks like and smells like and feels like Jesus. Help me to know when I'm trying to self-protect and justify.... "The problems are too overwhelming for my part to make any difference anyway." or "I'm just living like most everyone else I know...I'm just being normal,"etc.. Help me to follow Jesus more than my culture. For deep down, I know it is your truth that will set me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment