Monday, August 10, 2009

Update from Molly in Cambodia

Hello friends! New House…So sorry I haven’t been on top of the updates! I’ve been back in Cambodia for a month now and things have been rolling as usual. As we continue to expand at our base, I came back to Cambodia with someone sleeping in my bed! I was kicked out of my own house, which is fine with me. After praying with some girls we asked God to just show us a house to live in. We jumped on our motos and a friend took us to a house he knew was for rent, we walked in and it looked like it would be perfect. After praying some more we agreed and just signed a year contract! So I now live in this big house with 2 other girls, I have my own room, which is weird! I don’t sleep on a bunk bed any more, which is even weirder! As we continue to grow more, girl staff will be moving in to our home. We really are blessed to have a safe, nice home to live in. It is such a blessing, but every morning I get a reality check at 4 am when my neighbor starts to set up her noodle shop in front of her house, her baby cries about 5 am, which is my second alarm clock and by 5:30 I’m up, I can walk in to our kitchen and maybe get a cup of coffee, but while the water is heating up, I take the broom and sweep out all the ants, bugs and sometimes frogs that come in through a small opening in our door during the night. Then I grab the coffee and let it cool while I’m moving our motorcycles out of our living room, because it doubles as the garage at night, if the motos were outside they would get stolen. And if I need to jump in to the shower I head back to the kitchen, plug in this huge pump that pumps the water up through the house to the bathroom that makes a noise like your getting your teeth drilled out at the dentist. My house is a zoo in the morning!Did I mention I love Cambodia, because I do, life is a little different here, but always full of adventure and fun, even if we have ants.

Health Care…I’ve started teaching a health care class at our Youth Center, I have 9 students and we have covered basic handwashing, dehydration, temperature and pulse so far. They are mostly high school students are interested in nursing and want to know more. They ask me funny questions like, “if you are taking your temperature in your mouth can you eat ice at the same time?” One girl in my class is named Vanny, she is 19 and has been studying English at the Youth Center for 6 months already. She didn’t know about Jesus until she came to study English and now she has a Bible and has started to ask great questions about what the truth is. Please pray for Vanny, she is very smart and motivated, there is a promise from God that is, if we seek truth we will find it. Please pray for Vanny as she seeks truth, she will find it!

Neighborhood Slums…We just had a church team from Virginia come and visit us in Cambodia. One day I took 3 of the women on a walk through the slum area on our block. As we walked we came to a house where 3 teenagers were sitting and talking. One girl looked up and her eye was bright red with pus flowing out. I asked her what happened to her eye. She said that one of her friends had a “sick eye” and she looked at her friend which made her have a “sick eye” I explained to her that she needed medicine and to wash her hands. They were very interested in talking so I said I would bring back medicine later that day. When I came back that afternoon, she was gone I asked her friends where she was and they told me she was selling beer. Selling beer in Cambodia isn’t like America. She works at a really sketchy place where there is more than like prostitution. She is only 16 years old. Her name is Mary. Her friends took the medicine and said they would give it to her when she got home in the morning. Please pray for Mary. Pray that I would find her again and get to help her with more than just her eye.

That’s what I’m currently up to in Cambodia. Please pray that God would help my heart be open to what he wants to show me in Battambang. Please pray that I would continue to help lead this base well and we would do what God wants us to do! Thanks so much! Peace. Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment